ILAE/IBE Ambassador for Epilepsy Awards
The Ambassador for Epilepsy Award of the International Bureau for Epilepsy and the International League against Epilepsy is intended as a recognition of outstanding international contributions to activities advancing the cause of epilepsy. These activities should either be performed at an international level or they should have an international impact. Although not carrying a monetary value, the Award reflects peer recognition of individual contributions. The Award consists of an Ambassador for Epilepsy pin.
The recipients will be invited to attend the International Epilepsy Congress to receive his/her Award and, if able to attend, will be offered free registration to the Congress.
The Award will be presented at the International Epilepsy Congress, following the election by the IBE and ILAE Executive Committees.
- The candidate must have made contributions above and beyond the call of duty, either voluntarily or professionally, in any scientific, clinical, educational or social support field of epilepsy. The candidate must have achieved international recognition: in other words, the individual has, by his or her efforts, significantly contributed towards the development of epilepsy care and the well-being of people with epilepsy in an international context.
- The candidate must be proposed by one of the member organisations of IBE or ILAE or by one of the members of the Joint Executive Committee of IBE and ILAE.
- The Joint Executive Committee of IBE and ILAE will elect a maximum of 12 persons every two years.
- Nominees from the previous election, who did not receive the Award, will automatically be considered a nominee for one following election.
- All IBE and ILAE chapters and all members of the Joint Executive Committees of IBE and ILAE will be invited to nominate a maximum of 4 candidates for election in any two-year period.
- An invitation for nominations must be distributed to all chapters and members of the Joint Executive Committee 6 months prior to election. It must be accompanied by a list of those who have already been nominated, but not elected, in the previous election and who are eligible for election again.
- The name and curriculum vitae of each nominee must be sent to the IBE Office, 11 Priory Hall, Stillorgan Road, Blackrock, Co Dublin, Ireland, no later than three months prior to the date of election, together with a completed copy of the nomination form, supplied with the invitation, and a letter setting out the reasons why his/her contribution has been sufficient to be considered for this Award. The nominator must sign this form and the curriculum vitae must be no more than three pages in length.
- The nominations must be distributed to each member of the Joint Executive Committee.
- Each candidate should have a member of the Joint Executive Committee to defend him/her prior to the vote.
- Voting upon nominations will be carried out by a secret ballot.
- Each Joint Executive Committee member may vote for as many or as few candidates as he/she wishes. To be accepted, a candidate must be approved by an absolute majority of the members of the Joint Executive Committee present.
- A maximum of 12 candidates will be accepted.
- If less then 12 candidates receive a majority vote, after discussion, the voting procedure may be repeated twice.
- The decision of the Joint Executive Committee is final.
- Immediately following the election, the new Ambassadors and their nominators will be informed of their appointments. Recipients will be invited to attend the International Epilepsy Congress to receive their Awards.
- The Ambassador for Epilepsy Awards will be presented by the Presidents of IBE and ILAE. Awards will be presented individually, following a brief outline of achievement of the recipients, to those assembled.
- Information concerning the Ambassador for Epilepsy Awards must be included in the materials distributed to the Congress Delegates and will be published in Epilepsia, Epigraph and the International Epilepsy News at the earliest opportunity following the presentation.