Postdoctoral Research Associate at Duke University Pediatric Neurology – Durham, NC
Applications for a postdoctoral Research Associate at the Duke University Division of Pediatric Neurology are being accepted. Under the supervision of Professor Mohamad A. Mikati, MD the incumbent will investigate the mechanisms of pediatric epilepsy and related disorders. Examples of work area include mechanisms of neuronal excitability in slices, and mechanisms that contribute to acute changes and long-term plasticity in the brain; neurophysiologic and molecular mechanisms of neuronal injury in the developing brain; and on experiments that involve computer processing of MRI data.
• Collect information and data through observation, experimentation and various other methods, to include operating highly technical laboratory instruments and equipment.
• Prepare tissue and specimens for complex procedures, and devise experimental techniques for tests and analyses. Evaluate and interpret collected data and prepare reports and analyses setting forth progress, adverse trends and appropriate recommendations or conclusions.
• Confer with principal investigator in determining specific experiments to be included in the research protocol and to discuss the interpretation of results. Evaluate, analyze and summarize collected data and participate in its interpretation.
• Work in collaboration with other labs at Duke
• Write first drafts and subsequently modify and work on manuscripts of grants, publications, and protocols under supervision of principal investigator.
• Review journals, abstracts and scientific literature to keep abreast of new developments and to obtain information regarding previous experiments to aid in the design and development of original procedures and techniques. Participate in journal clubs.
• Supervise, train and instruct residents, interns, students or lower level personnel in laboratory techniques and procedures. Participate in lab meetings.
Work requires a PhD in biomedical science
Desirable background includes knowledge of neurophysiological in vivo and slice techniques, rodent behavioral assays related to epilepsy, ability to perform small animal surgeries and immunological (Western blotting), histological techniques, such as IHC and in situ hybridization, and genotyping.
Anytime between May 1, 2013 through July 2013
1 year, aim for renewable based on progress
Please email a statement of interest and a full CV to Mohamad Mikati, MD (email@example.com), and copy Lindsay Johnson (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Qualified candidates of all genders, races, and religions are encouraged to apply.
Duke University Health System is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Mohamad Mikati, MD
2301 Erwin Road CHC T-0913
Durham, NC 27710
If you are the owner of this job posting, you can enter the password you assigned to this job posting to edit the text or change the status of this listing.