Live-streamed here on Friday, December 2, 2022, from 4:00 - 5:30 PM CST
Treatments and outcomes from epilepsy surgery are often different in children than adults. This session describes state-of-the-art care for infants and children with epilepsy, including early epilepsy surgery and epilepsy and cognitive outcomes. This session reviews differences in pediatric epilepsy care that take place in the setting of development and plasticity that need to be incorporated in care models. While much of the session focuses on epilepsy surgery, it also touches upon advances in pediatric epilepsy genetics that are transforming epilepsy care.
Following participation in this activity, participants will be able to:
- Discuss the developmental context of pediatric care
- Recognize the capacity and limitations of brain plasticity
- Identify surgical epilepsy outcomes in pediatric epilepsy surgery
- Recognize cognitive and behavioral outcomes in pediatric epilepsy surgery
- Review the range of how advances in epilepsy genetics inform clinical expression of disease and treatment