Committees & Task Forces
AES Volunteer Structure
American Epilepsy Society thrives on its wealth of volunteer engagement. Working through the various organizational units, volunteers keep AES at the forefront of epilepsy education and research. Many hands are needed to accomplish the task of “Working Toward a World Without Epilepsy.” Are you interested in giving your time and talent to help work toward our mission?
Click here for the volunteer form. The names of those who volunteer but are not chosen for service for the 2018-2020 term are kept in an active file for new assignments that may arise throughout the year.
See a detailed map of how the American Epilepsy Society's board, councils, and committees relate to each other.
View the member-only committee directory here. (Login required.)
The Board of Directors approved the following administrative regulation 10/18/15:
The governance organizational structure of the American Epilepsy Society (AES) consists of councils, committees, task forces, and work groups. The charges, recommended composition, maximum size and composition of each organizational unit is periodically reviewed by the Governance Committee. Recommendations for changes in structure or composition from leadership, the committee itself, or other sources are referred to the Governance Committee for consideration. Under exceptional circumstances, the President, in consultation with the Executive Committee, has the right to appoint individuals needed to accomplish specific jobs. In all other cases, appointments are made through the annual call for volunteers and/or at such time as an entity requires new members.
Definitions of Governance Organizational Units:
- Executive Committee: The Executive Committee consists of the President, the 1st Vice President, the 2nd Vice President, the Treasurer and the immediate Past President and includes the Executive Director as a non-voting, ex-officio member. The Treasurer-Elect participates in nonvoting, ex-officio capacity during their transitional year.
- Board of Directors: The Board of Directors consists of six Active members, who are elected to three-year terms according to the By-laws of the Society. Council Chairs serve in ex officio capacity to the Board of Directors, without voting rights.
- Council: Councils serve as the oversight and coordinating group for Committees and their task forces and work groups based on functions defined by the AES Strategic Plan and Mission. Council membership is determined by the Council chair in consultation with the Governance Committee. Councils report directly to the Board of Directors.
- Committee: The scope of Committee responsibility generally encompasses multiple specific responsibilities under a unifying charge. Committees direct and coordinate collective activity of task forces and work groups. They report directly to an overseeing Council unless they are Committees of the Board or Board-appointed committees, which then report directly to the Board of Directors.
- Task Force: Task Forces are assigned specific and defined tasks whose scope is normally quite focused. They report to and are under the direction of appropriate committees and councils. Task Forces must have a clear and specific charge, and a deadline for completion of that charge not to exceed 24 months with an option for one 12-month extension. Once the recommendations of the Task Force have been reviewed and acted upon by the appropriate organizational unit, the Task Force will be dissolved. If their work is determined to be of a broad enough and sustained nature a Task Force can be considered for reconstitution as a Committee, with application to and approval of the Governance Committee.
- Work Group: A work group is a sub-group of any other entity (Council, committee, task force, AHTF) that is appointed by the chair of that entity to work on a specific, time limited project narrower in focus than a Task Force and not to exceed 12 months' duration with the option of one six-month extension. Work groups may utilize experts from outside the entity when necessary. Upon completion of their charge, the Work Group will be dissolved.