Sudden Unexpected Death in Epilepsy (SUDEP) is now recognized as the leading cause of mortality associated with epilepsy excluding status epilepticus and underlying etiologies. Despite the importance of the problem and the implications for intervention, SUDEP had not received widespread professional attention in the United States prior to the mid-2000s.
The level of awareness and interest in SUDEP has grown, though, as evidenced by the growing numbers of publications, posters/presentations, and participation in related special interest groups. In addition, there has been a significant rise in the number of inquiries from clinical and basic scientists as well as from patients and families via advocacy organizations.
- AES Position Statement on SUDEP Counseling
- Practice guideline - Sudden unexpected death in epilepsy incidence rates and risk factors (2017) Co-developed by the American Academy of Neurology and the American Epilepsy Society
AES Annual Meeting Archived Symposia
- Scientific Symposium: Losing Sleep Over Seizures: Does Sleep Matter (2018)
- 16th Judith Hoyer Lecture in Epilepsy | Seizure Forecasting: When Will the Storm Arrive? (2018)
- The SUDEP Movement: From Inception to Goal - 14th Judith Hoyer Lecture in Epilepsy (2016)
- Death in Children with Epilepsy - A Different Tragedy Than in Adults (2015)
- The Epidemiology, Pathophysiology & Prevention of SUDEP (2014)
Epilepsy Currents - Recent Reviews and Commentaries Related to SUDEP
- Biomarkers for SUDEP: Are We There Yet?
- Are Seizure Detection Devices Ready for Prime Time?
- Risk of Unnatural Mortality in Epilepsy
- SUDEP: When the Nightmare Becomes the Reality
- Knowing is Half the Battle: Underestimating SUDEP
- Modulation of Abnormal Sodium Channel Currents in Heart and Brain: Hope for SUDEP Prevention and Seizure Reduction
Archived AES Presentation Recordings
- SUDEP Counseling: Risk Management for Clinicians Webinars (2014) - FREE, registration required
- Epilepsy Education Program - presentation slide deck on Clinical Epilepsy
AES Fellowship Curriculum
Partners Against Mortality in Epilepsy (PAME) Conference Archives
- About the PAME Meeting
- Summary of PAME 218 Meeting
- Summary of PAME 2016 Meeting
- Summary of PAME 2014 Meeting
- Summary of PAME 2012 Meeting