ILAEIBE Award for Social Accomplishment
ILAE/IBE Award for Social Accomplishment
Every two years one individual who has carried out outstanding activities aimed at the social benefit of people with epilepsy is recognized by the International Bureau for Epilepsy and the International League against Epilepsy. This Award consists of a scroll, plus a cheque for US $ 1,000. The recipient will be invited to attend the International Epilepsy Congress to receive his/her Award and, if able to attend, will be offered free travel (coach/economy class), 2 night’s accommodation and free registration to the Congress. The Award will be presented at the International Epilepsy Congress, following the election by the IBE and ILAE Executive Committees.
The candidate should be known to have a longstanding record of activities promoting improvement in the social circumstances of people with epilepsy. Alternatively, they should have taken one single action, which has resulted in a major breakthrough in improving social conditions for people with epilepsy. Possible fields of activity may be:
- organizational activities
- information through either audio-visual or written materials
- An invitation for nominations will be distributed to all chapters and to the members of the Joint Executive Committee 6 months prior to election. It should be accompanied by a list of those who have already been nominated, but not elected, in the previous election, and who are eligible for election again.
- The candidate must be proposed by one of the member organizations of IBE and ILAE, or by one of the members of the Joint Executive Committee.
- Each chapter and each member of the Joint Executive Committee can nominate one candidate for election.
- A letter describing the relevant activities of the nominee and setting out the reasons why these activities should be considered for the Award, together with a curriculum vitae of the nominee must sent to the IBE Office, P.O. Box 21, 2100 AA Heemstede, the Netherlands, 3 months prior to the date of election. The nominator must sign a nomination. Curricula vitae should be no more than 3 pages in length. Nominations will only be accepted within the deadline.
- Nominees from the previous election who did not receive the Award will automatically be considered a nominee in one following election.
- The Joint Executive Committee will elect one person, although an exception can be made if more than one person has been actively involved in the same project.
- Each nomination must be distributed to each member of the Joint Executive Committee.
- Voting will be carried out by a secret ballot.
- Each Joint Executive Committee member has one vote.
- To be elected, a candidate should receive an absolute majority of votes.
- If this cannot be achieved in one vote, then the voting procedure may be repeated to a maximum of two times. If this does not produce an absolute majority, then no candidate is elected.
- The decision of the Joint Executive Committee is final.
- Immediately following the election, the awardee and his/her nominator shall be informed of his/her election and the recipient will be invited to attend the International Epilepsy Congress to receive his/her Award.
- The Award will be presented by the Presidents of IBE and ILAE, following a brief outline of the achievements of the recipient, to those assembled.
Information concerning the Award should be included in the materials distributed to the congress delegates and published in Epilepsia, Epigraph and the International Epilepsy News at the earliest opportunity following the presentation