Susan Spencer Clinical Research Training Fellowship
The Clinical Research and Training Fellowship in Epilepsy was established in honor of Susan S. Spencer, MD, a Past President of the American Epilepsy Society who was Professor of Neurology and Medical Director of the Epilepsy Program at the Yale University School of Medicine and Yale New Haven Hospital. Following her untimely death in the Spring of 2009, the fellowship was created to foster the development of investigators interested in pursuing careers in patient-oriented research. The award is made possible by the American Academy of Neurology with funding from the American Epilepsy Society, the American Brain Foundation, and the Epilepsy Foundation.
New this year! The award has been increased to a total of $150,000 distributed across two years. Applications must be submitted in their entirety prior to October 1, 2018. Applicants must submit their research plan and biosketch in advance with sufficient time allotted for additional materials to be submitted by their chair, mentor, and references. Applications must be submitted through the AAN website, which will open in July 2018.
Details on the program and the application requirements can be viewed in the 2018 RFP here.
Past Fellowship Recipients:
- Hiroki Nariai, MD, UCLA Medical Center (2018)
- Alice Lam, MD, PhD, Massachusetts General Hospital (2017)
- Paula Voinescu, MD, PhD, Brigham and Women Hospital (2016)
- Leigh N. Sepeta, PhD, Children’s National Health System (2015)
- Colin Josephson, MD, MSc, University of Calgary (2014)
- Robert J. Kotloski, MD, PhD University of Wisconson (2013)
- Anli Liu MD, MA Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School (2012)
- Piero Perucca, MD Montreal Neurological Institute at McGill University (2011)