Abstracts submitted on or before June 2 will be subject to a discounted non-refundable processing fee:
- Members: $50 per abstract
- Non-Members: $75 per abstract
Abstracts will be accepted June 3 – June 9 at 11:59 PM PST for a non-refundable processing fee:
- Members: $100 per abstract
- Non-members: $150 per abstract
The abstract fee covers the cost of abstract processing and will also help AES maintain the excellent quality of our Annual Meeting. You will be prompted to pay this fee immediately prior to submitting your abstract. Abstract submissions are the cornerstone of our scientific program and we thank you for your support.
Submission Details and Guidelines
- ABSTRACT LIMIT: You may be the presenting author (First Author) on only one (1) abstract.
- CHARACTER LIMIT: There is a limit of 3,200 characters for the text of your abstract submission. This includes title, abstract body, and spaces, but does NOT include authors, institutions, tables, or images.
- TITLE: The title should be entered in mixed case (do not use ALL CAPITAL LETTERS). Do not use formatting tags in the title (with the possible exception of the lower case tag). Abstracts that do not conform will not be accepted.
- ABSTRACT BODY: To ensure clarity, abstracts should be organized into separate paragraphs through the use of these fields in Step 3 of the submission process: Rationale, Methods, Results, and Conclusions. Authors are advised that abstracts without an explicit concluding sentence stating the significance of the findings will not be accepted. It is not satisfactory to say the results will be discussed.
- TABLES AND IMAGES: Figures, images, and tables are acceptable. A maximum of two (2) tables, images, or figures (any combination) may be used. All images must be included in your original submission. Images can be edited or deleted at any time before the submission deadline. Tables and images are not required for submission and will not be included in the total character count. Acceptable file formats: JPG, PNG
- ABBREVIATIONS AND REFERENCES: Use standard abbreviations. For terms that are abbreviated, use the whole word the first time, followed by the abbreviation in parenthesis. Abbreviate journal titles according to Index Medicus, and give year, volume number, and inclusive pages. Use references sparingly within the body of your abstract. International nonproprietary names and abbreviations for antiepileptic drugs as published in Epilepsia 1993; 34(6); 1151 should be used. Reference for book chapters should consist of editor, title, city of publication, publisher, year, and inclusive pages. References will be included in the total character count.
- AUTHORS: Please enter all authors in the order they should appear in the heading of the abstract. The name of the contact author will appear in the first author position and marked as the presenter. As the contact author, you will be required to provide phone and email information for all co-authors. Full contact information is required for the presenter. Only one abstract per presenting author is allowed. Multiple submissions of similar material from an institution, consortium, or study group are not allowed. In cases where multiple similar submissions are planned, authors should combine their materials into a single, cogent abstract. The presenting author must acknowledge that all authors have read and agreed with the content of the abstract submitted for the American Epilepsy Society Annual Meeting.
- ANNUAL MEETING REGISTRATION: All presenters must register for the Annual Meeting and will be required to pay the annual meeting registration fee.
- INSTITUTIONS: Enter all department and institutional affiliations. Department is an optional field. Only two institutional affiliations will be allowed per author. You do not need to enter institutions in a particular order to be able to designate author affiliations. Please note multiple abstracts containing similar data from the same institutions will be rejected.
- ETHICAL PROCEDURES: Work presented in abstracts must conform to guidelines for ethical experimental procedures with animals and with patients, as well as accepted scientific standards. Failure to meet these guidelines will result in rejection of the abstract.
- SOURCES OF FUNDING: Sources of funding must be noted at the end of the abstract and will be included in the total character count.
- ABSTRACT PROOF: Carefully check the proof of your abstract. Make sure all special characters and formatting are displaying properly in your proof. If you find errors, return to the abstract and make your corrections.
- SUBMITTING YOUR ABSTRACT: If you have not completed all required sections/tasks you will not be able to submit the abstract. In the case of missing tasks, you will be prompted to enter the missing information. When all required information is entered and saved and payment is made, select the “SUBMIT NOW FOR REVIEW” button. You will be asked to review your abstract and THEN HIT “SUBMIT”. Receipt of abstracts will be acknowledged via email within 48 hours.
- PUBLICATION: Research published in manuscript form prior to the submission of the abstract is not appropriate and should not be submitted. If data contained in the abstract is published after submission but before presentation of the abstract at the AES meeting, the author must notify the AES office as soon as publication is recognized. At that time, the Scientific Program Committee chair will make a determination concerning the presentation in question.
- NOTIFICATIONS: Acceptance emails will be sent at the end of August. You must also notify your co-authors of this acceptance.
- WITHDRAWAL: If your poster or platform needs to be withdrawn for any reason, authors are responsible for notifying the AES office immediately at email@example.com. Please include the title of the abstract along with the AES poster number and the submission ID in your notification.
- DEADLINE FOR ABSTRACT EDITS. The deadline for abstract edits to be made in the online searchable database is October 26, 2021. Contact Jill Hunt at firstname.lastname@example.org
- EMAIL ADDRESS CHANGE: If your email address changes prior to August or prior to the Annual Meeting in December, please log into your Abstract Submission account and update your email.
- TECHNICAL SUPPORT: If you have any technical difficulties submitting your abstract, please click on the blue "Feedback and Support" tab on the right side of each screen. You will be asked some minimal information as well as the ability to take a screenshot so that someone can properly assist you.