The Sergievsky Award for Epilepsy Health Equity and Diversity provides support for doctors and scientists who identify as members of underrepresented racial and ethnic groups, with preference for those who are Black or African American candidates. The intention of this award is to facilitate the launch of individuals into a career of leadership in academic clinical research in the field of epilepsy.
Proposals are welcomed across the spectrum of epilepsy research, with a preference for clinical research that addresses issues affecting medically underserved individuals with epilepsy or seizures or related aspects of health equity. The applicant should specify how the project addresses the main goals of the award.
The award provides $75,000 per year for two years of support (for a total award of $150,000), as well as two years of complimentary AES membership and complimentary registration to the two AES Annual Meetings that occur during the award period. The second year of funding and benefits is contingent on progress in the first year. The number of awards granted each year is contingent upon available funds.
The awardee will also be invited to engage with the AES community, with the objective of completing at least one of the following activities during their award period.
These may include:
- The opportunity to present scholarship at the Annual Meeting
- Consideration of a publication of commentary or results of research in Epilepsy Currents
- Service within AES during the award term and beyond, tailored to the candidate's goals
This may include participation on the Early Career Grant Committee; Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee; or another AES committee aligned with career goals; as well as the opportunity to serve as a contributing editor for Epilepsy Currents. The awardee will also be invited to participate in the annual AES leadership training program. Normal review and acceptance processes will be followed where applicable.
Important Dates for Applicants:
Application submission for the Sergievsky Award for Epilepsy Health Equity and Diversity will open in September 2021.
- September 1, 2021: Application submission opens (All applications must be submitted through proposalCENTRAL.)
- January 15, 2022: Full proposals due
- May 31, 2022: Award notifications sent
- July 1, 2022: Earliest award start date (Grantee may delay start date up to three months.)
- June 30, 2023: First year progress report due
- July 1, 2023: Second year start date
- June 30, 2024: Award end